Monday, August 10, 2009

Drown your iPhone.

"Make a conscious choice to move the attention of your anxious heart away from the waves and direct it to the One who walks on them." -Henri Nouwen

What might happen if you shift your attention away from the waves to the One who walks on them?
What concrete thing could you do to help redirect your attention?
- excerpt from SOLO.




Well, for starters, you could dunk your iPhone into a large bowl of water....

I've been having an 'off' day. Actually, quite a few 'off' days in a row. Like something is missing. Or more like something I previously had has been lost. I started asking myself what it could be, what has changed. A thought came to mind that maybe I should de-Face(book) for a while. And de-email. And de-Solitaire. And de-FML. Well, no sooner did this thought come to my mind that I heard a plunking sound. Yeah, you probably guessed it. My iPhone... my pride and joy, my vehicle for these distractions... had drowned itself.

I was shocked, but in all honestly, I wasn't completely and totally upset, which is surprising. Of all the phones I've had, I haven't liked one as much as I have liked this one. It was kind of like I knew I wouldn't really be missing out on that much without it though. Sure, it's a great source of entertainment and I absolutely love it, but I know in my mind that it's not a necessity. I can go back to writing my grocery list on paper. And I can start singing the songs in my head when I run instead of listening to my playlist. And people who email me or text me will certainly survive if they don't receive an instantaneous reply back.

So I took my 'off' self to bed. I was already feeling like burying my head under the blankets and staying there for a few days. In addition to this feeling, some other things were nagging at me too but I knew it was too late to change the course of those things. I just wanted to cry. But, if you know me at all, you know that I don't express outward emotion very well and my tears are usually shed internally. So, I don't cry. Instead, I decided to do a little reading in hopes that it would lift my spirits a little.

Well, tonights devotional did offer some guidance. It also offered a challenge. What would happen if I shift my attention away from the waves and instead put my attention on the One who walks on the waves? Hopefully I'm about to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment